Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fragility of Life: My first TIA

Last night at my sister's in Chicago Heights, I felt numbness in my face, arm, and leg - all on the right side. I thought it might be a pinched nerve, so I went to my chiropractor this afternoon. After telling Dr. Zrelak my symptoms, he said that I need to phone my primary Doctor. In ten minutes I was in Dr. J. Kopin's office at 11 South Clark in the Loop. After two hours of tests, questions, EKG, etc., it seems that I may had experienced/suffered a TIA. So tomorrow, Dec. 18, I will have an MRI, MAI, and and Echogram of my heart. Nine tubes of my blood was drawn by the lab today. Results......?

What an awakening to the fragility of my life! I will be 68 years old on January 30. The old grey stallion ain't what he used to be. I am concerned, worried,......grateful, feel so blessed too.
Too blessed to be stressed! And yet..... Prayers, please. How is your health? Seen your doctor lately? Peace and Everything Good!

2 comments:

Bike said...

Fr.,
You have been added to my prayer blog...

http://tinyurl.com/PrayerBlog

peace and prayers,
Marty

Vickie said...

Prayers, of course...and the guidelines for recognizing a stroke/TIA as provided by the American Red Cross (my approximation from memory): Use the mnemonic F.A.S.T.

F is for Face - ask the person to smile and check for asymmetry. (I've seen this in a person suffering a stroke - quite amazing really)

A is for Arms - ask the person to raise both arms. If one arm is weaker than the other, it will likely not be raised as much.

S is for Speech - ask the person to speak a simple sentence. Check for slurring or other difficulty in speaking.

T is for Time - if you suspect someone is having a stroke, time is of the essence. Call 911 immediately.

I hope the results of your medical tests were good. My father-in-law had a TIA a few years ago, acted on his risk factors (high blood pressure, etc.) and hasn't had any further problems in that line since then.

Peace and good, Vickie