Friday, October 17, 2008

A Pro-Life Litany

I will be attending the Call to Action Conference in Milwaukee WI, Nov.7-9. One of the dictums we learned in Theology Class in the 1960's is this: Ecclesia Semper Reformanda Est! The Church must always be reformed! This is another way of saying what Jesus preached: Repent! Change your ways! CTA (Call to Action) is one of the voices that calls us the Church to repentance and conversion. We are called to change our hearts and minds according to the Gospel message.
Check out CTA at www.cta-usa.org.

Today I received the Call to Action Church Watch Newsletter. There I read:

A Pro-Life Litany
I am more than pro-birth, I am pro-life.

I do not believe in unprovoked wars (which kill innocent people). I am pro-life.

I condemn torture. I am pro-life

I do not believe in the death penalty. I am pro-life.

I believe those we incarcerate must be taught skills so they can live in society. I am pro-life.

I work to eliminate racism. I am pro-life.

I do not believe that we should give obscene smounts of money to oppressive governments. I am pro-life.

I do not believe our government should train other governments to produce death squads. I am pro-life

I believe that everyone in the world should be able to live with healthful conditions. I am pro-life.

I believe that the social teachings of the church provide a strong foundation beyond being just pro-birth. I am pro0-life.

I am more than pro-birth. I am pro-life..

As Jesus says in Matthew's Gospel: "Now, what do you think?"

3 comments:

adoptiondreams said...

Amen, I say to you Amen!
Jennifer Murphy

Clifford said...

Hi Chuck

I must say that I have not been much of a blogger. But after reading the 'Pro-Life Litany", I decided to give it a try. I read a book recently by Steven Tool, "Words". A great book about how politicians and other leaders tend to use words to hide their true intentions and manipulate the others. Hence, words like "Pro Life' are used sometimes to insinuate that when others do not share the same ideology, they are therefore 'anti life'. I am certainly for giving every life a chance to a decent living. But I am unsure how does a society like yours work with people being for gun ownership (guns are then used to destroy lives) and at the same time, these people fight for the live of the inborn child. Such double standards are rather confusing.
The election in your country is quite a thing. I love reading about it, and watching it on TV. I hope that Americans know that it is not only about them.
cheers
clifford

Mrs. Skinny Con Leche' said...

Father Chuck...Bless you for providing so many of us a prayer of hope and determination. How often we hear the phrase "right to life" as a rallying cry. But Father, I truly believe it is more than that.
It must be "Right To A Life" that we hold as non-negotiable.
Inherent in that demand will be the needs of those housed not only in a mother's womb, but in Mother Earth's womb.